Saturday, June 7, 2008

Points ride: June 7

The fifth ride of the series went in the casual spirit that characterizes this event.

Earlier this week I announced that I would grant an extra point to everyone who sported the UCVC jersey. I have to say, carrots work like a charm: twelve folks showed up in the club maglia. In fact, the only three who didn't are guests in this ride, not members of the club.

"People will do anything to get an extra point," Joel said. (Hmm..., I'm starting to get Machiavellian ideas...) Or maybe people just wanted to see me go insane with glee... I don't know.

The incident of the day was that one of the riders (actually, one of our guests) broke the rear derailleur and the chain. Our able mechanics McGyvered the drivetrain into a single speed, and our unfortunate friend was able to ride to Starbucks and back home--I'd give him an extra point if he were a UCVCer.

Below is a (partial) general classification. (The list of participants is getting longer and longer, so I'm only posting the points and mileage of people with more than ten points--the rest of you still have your points, I keep a full list in a spreadsheet.)

The classifica is now commanded by the Catalan mafia, with Elisabet ahead by just one point. Dan, Jeremy, Jesse, Araba and Bernard are close behind.

Classifica generale - June 7

Points

Miles
Elisabet
30
170
Francisco
29
170
Dan
25
135
Jeremy
25
135
Jesse
24
120
Araba
23
120
Bernard
23
120
Jonathan
19
85
Suchandra
19
85
Mickey
16
50
Ari
15
50
Joel
15
135
Philippe
15
135
Sarah
14
35
Noah
13
120
Charlie
11
100

According to the initial schedule, all our century rides were gonna take place in September (we had two in mind, the North Shore Century and the Apple Cider Century). I'd like to have another one in August, perhaps as an alternative option to a regular ride, for folks who have achieved sufficient endurance by then and can't wait...

Somebody mentioned the "Dairy Farm" or "Dairy Queen" ride, or something like that. Mickey mentioned another one, I can't remember the name. If you have suggestions about centuries that will take place in August, within two hours of Chicago, leave a comment or e-mail me.

No comments: