Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Meeting place and other stuff

One of the ideas that somebody proposed the other day is that we should meet at Ratner for our rides. There are reasons for meeting there, and there are also reasons for meeting at Istria or somewhere closer to the lake. I won't get in that discussion now.

I just want to give that idea a fair chance. So for the next few days I'll be calling rides that will start at Ratner. I'll be speaking with people, collecting their opinions about the issue, and gathering a sense of what people, or at least the ones who actually come to the rides, think. I'll get back to you when I've done that.

We did this today for the first time and we had a group of three, including myself. Admittedly, it was very cold.

Next ride: tomorrow (Wednesday April 30), at 6.30am

Of course everyone is free to do whatever they want. All I'm asking is some collaboration from you for the next ten days or so and that you make an effort to meet me at Ratner instead of Istria.

(I'll be totally accommodating at those rides: I'll never leave anyone behind, and if everyone who shows up is strong, I'll go as fast as they wanna go.)

Another idea that someone pitched was calling rides through a club calendar. Ben created a calendar months ago, and nobody seems to be using it. Again, to give the idea a fair chance, I've put the calendar on the club's website (last option in the menu). Everyone can see it. And you can post a ride if you know the user name and password. (I'll send them by e-mail.) For the next couple of days I'll post the ride on the calendar and will announce it by e-mail. After that, only on the calendar. After ten days or so we'll see what we think.

By the way, I gave a little botox to the club's website--just the main page. It looks neater. We will have a brand new website by the end of the summer. We can't neglect this, it's the face of the club in the world.

1 comment:

Aspen said...

I really like the idea of a calendar. This should work best if there are regular rides going at different times. As one of the things to do for the next year is to try to have a more regular ride schedule and hopefully different people can volunteer to lead rides.

In terms of location, the suggestion of Ratner makes a lot of sense to have an early morning ride leave from there 1-2 times per week. If we ever have an afternoon ride, the most high profile place would be to leave from the quad. As Francisco says, there are reasons to prefer these locations as well as ones closer to the lake. Maybe having various rides from various locations is best, or maybe it will just cause confusion. I think that trying things out for the next few weeks then discussing is a great approach!