Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Watch Out for Waves!!



It's windy out there on the path today... and with the wind comes some crazy wave action from Lake Michigan. The waves are especially vicious along the Oak Street Beach stretch of the path. The waves were coming over the edge and flowing up onto the path this morning... most of them can be avoided by riding up high on the path. However, on the corner after the long straight away, there were some monster splashes that shot up in the air almost 20 feet and then came crashing across the whole path. You might think a good strategy to minimize wave damage would be to continue cycling as far from the water as possible and close to the far wall. I used this strategy this morning... just as I came around the corner with monster waves, the water struck, shot up in the air, and came rushing across the path about 1.5 ft. deep when it hit me (and this was the shallow part because I had the brilliant strategy of staying close to the wall). Then my plan backfired because the wave hit the wall, traveled up the wall, and came back and dumped on my head. Meanwhile, I got laughed at by an oncoming rider. Oh dear! So - I would not recommend riding close to the wall around this corner! I do not have a good alternative strategy... on the way home I just kept my fingers crossed and rode really fast through that section of the path - I escaped with relatively minimal wave wetness.


No comments: